Want the secret to healthy skin?
It all starts at home. Last Tuesday, we teamed up with Highland Park West Magazine to host a class on how to build a good home routine & master the At-Home Facial. We’d like to thank everyone who came out and participated! For those who weren’t able to attend, here’s a summary of the steps in a At-Home Facial. Whatever your budget for may be, you can achieve healthy skin by focusing on the steps rather than specific brands or price tags.
- Cleanse: The first step is to remove any makeup, oil or dirt (eek!) that may have made its way onto your face during the day. There are many kinds of cleansers out there but the European method uses a milky cleanser. Milky or Oil cleansers are great because they don’t require the use of water and help breakdown makeup faster. We recommend using a damp cotton round to massage the cleanser onto your skin.
- Exfoliate: In order for your mask + products to penetrate into the deeper layers of your skin, you need to remove any dead skin from the surface. Remember, you can only go so far with your exfoliant. We recommend using a gentle scrub as it is easier on the skin and less likely to cause irritation.
- Mask: Choose your mask based on the season and the state of your skin. However, remember that even if you are oily your skin needs hydration. Be sure to read the entire label on the mask that you use. If the mask contains resurfacing agents, be sure to exercise caution and follow the directions closely. Use a gentle washcloth to wipe off the mask with lukewarm water.
Toner: This often forgotten step is essential to restoring balance to your skin. Toners work to reestablish the PH of your skin and seal your pores. Be sure to use a toner that does not contain alcohol as that can strip and dry out your skin.
- Serum: Serums are concentrated formulas that must be applied BEFORE moisturizer. This is because serums are made of smaller molecules and can penetrate into the deepest layers of skin. Use a serum that targets your concern such as sensitivity, dry skin or anti-aging.
- Moisturizer: The final step is adding your favorite moisturizer. We recommend using a slightly heavier moisturizer at night and a lighter one during the day. This helps keep your skin hydrated and minimizes the signs of aging.
After these steps, your skin should be hydrated and glowing. Remember, that consistency is key. Having a good home care routine is essential to the health of your skin. We suggest doing at At-Home Facial once every 1-2 weeks. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out! We love hearing from you.